domingo, 22 de noviembre de 2009

W.H Auden (September 1, 1939)


I did not have idea about W.H Auden and his way of writing. Therefore, when my teacher brought his poetry to the class, it was y first time to face him and I really liked him. I appreciate his honesty in September 1, 1939. I like him because he writes about social and political issues that impact our lives. The most interesting issue is seeing that the problems highlited by him still happen, which make the poem more meaningful for me. Nationalism, Imperialism and Power are still present and make people passive. People do not want to change because they think that what the mass is doing is okay.
"Those to whom evil is done
Do evil in return"


These two lines called my attention and probably most of my classmates attention, because the idea of receiving and doing is so strong in our society. If someone lives bad experiences, he or she will act in the same way. Thus, our profession is so important. Teachers must be very carefull with words and acts, because we are models and students are imitating us all the time. If we do something bad, they will do so as well. Lack of assertiveness is a common issue in people's personality. Sometimes we tend to act spontaneously and avoid cynicism,however we arenot assertive and we hurt someone else's feelings easily.
What makes me think from the poem is Auden's thoughts about society and about people's own worlds. As we have learned during our life at the university at least, a society is constructed by us and we need to share ideas and struggle for the same goal.

No hay comentarios: